Over the next few days much will be written about New Year resolutions and how to be a better you in 2018. Many people start the year with new ideals and new year resolutions that usually just end up in disappointments and another example to them of why ‘ I am no good!’.
I believe the new year is a great opportunity to make a fresh start but it has to be done very carefully not to actually put you back even further in your quest to lead a more satisfying life. The key is to think small so that you can make and achieve a small change that becomes the foundation of more smaller changes leading to ultimately a big change overall. Once you have made a small change and it becomes part of your normal routine flushed with this success you can add another change…….and so it goes!
Lets look at some examples. Many of us want to make changes in Health, Relationships and Career so lets look at these three.
- Health – forget taking out the new expensive Health Club membership that you will probably forget about the first week or two! Think about one thing that is really getting in the way of your health. Is it too many drinks after work? Is it the sugar fix you crave in the afternoon? Is it being unable to get of the couch? Once you have identified one thing make your plan to change that. Maybe it is to have some alcohol free days? Maybe you need to take some savory snacks with you to work or wherever you are tempted by the cake shops? Maybe park the car further away so you have to walk that bit further to and from work to add that little bit of exercise to your day?
- Relationships – maybe it is with your kids or your partner that you feel things could be better. Once again try and focus on the root of the problem.
- Is it that terrible drama about the messy bedroom that starts the arguments with the kids?
- Is it a friend that keeps interfering with the relationship you have with your partner?
- Is there an annoying habit that you or your partner has that seems to set things off?
- Think logically about this and see where you can make a small change to minimise this issue. Maybe rearrange the kids bedroom with them so that it is easier for them to keep tidy, maybe just expect that one day a week it will be tidied up together , the rest of the time ignore it! Maybe a frank discussion with partner or friend to make a truce!
3. Career – this is the one where I am probably best qualified to give some ideas! Not happy at your current work? Don’t have a job or enough hours? Current work is poorly paid or not challenging or too stressful or you don’t like the other staff or don’t like the management or you think they don’t like you? There are many reasons why we can feel frustrated at work.
Often a change of attitude towards work can make a big difference and this can be a small change that can easily pick up speed. Think about your own attitude and see where you can change – what if you put in more effort? what if you didn’t take work home with you? what if you had a friendly but firm discussion with whoever is troubling you or in a position to change the work and/or the work environment? what if you smiled more? what if you got to work a little earlier each day so you could start in a good frame of mind? I am sure you can think of other small changes that might improve the day to day.
But then maybe a bigger change is necessary – like a different job, a promotion, a total career change so what are the small changes you can make to build towards that big change? Start putting together all your previous experience and skills into a draft resume, even if you may need professional resume help later by thinking through what you have done and putting information together you can save a lot of time and money later. Start talking to people in other jobs – what do they do, what do they like or not like about that job? Research the many careers website – www.myfuture.edu.au Consider some vocational testing to see what your top abilities are and how they may be best used. Go to Career Expos and talk to trainers, educators and other employment agencies. Locate a career professional and arrange an appointment.
All these small actions can not only lead you on to more and more changes they will give you a feeling of success as you achieve some practical changes. You are taking charge of your journey through life not letting it take you!
May you make some small but amazing changes in 2018 that will really impact on your future and lead to amazing big changes!!