Employment statistics that came out this week say that 5 young people are now competing for every entry level job advertised across Australia.
So how do we future proof our kids (or yourself, if you are in the 18-25 age group)? Here are 6 suggestions.
- Get a part time job while at school – work experience of any kind assists when trying to get a job later on. It has been shown that part time work up to 10 hrs a week actually has a positive impact on school results as it develops organisational skills, so parents don’t worry about having less study time.
- Take every opportunity you can in school, in a sports club, charity organisation, workplace to develop soft skills – leadership, communication, initiative, flexibility, planning and organisation, It is these skills that will set you apart from the crowd when applying for jobs.
- Turn off social media from time to time just to focus on your own ideas and thoughts – creativity is born out of boredom!
- Turn off social media from time to time just to talk to people to improve your verbal communication skills including your ability to express ideas clearly and convincingly.
- Choose training and academic courses that lead to a job outcome. Check out Australian jobs government publication to see current and future job growth predictions in all industries.
- Choose training and academic courses that lead to a job outcome. Many courses include a work placement/experience or at the very least industry based projects as part of the required learning and assessment.